Monday 4 August 2014

My Dad's War, in my Dad's words.

I joined the 2nd South Midland Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps in March 1914 at the age of 17 years. The headquarters were at the Great Brook Street. barracks, (now demolished).

At the time of my enlistment there happened to be a vacancy in the Corps band for a cymbal player, and, having passed my medical (A1) I became Bandsman Private F.W. Nicholls No. 1951. On the outbreak of war this was altered to 437107.

Prior to August 1914 the band played at many functions and weekend camps, and, occasionally played at Garden parties at the residence of an officer of the Unit. Shortly after mobilisation the band was disbanded and I returned to the ranks as bugler and stretcher-bearer.

The following true incidents occurred from the time we left for the Annual Camp on July 31st 1914 and during our service in France




    The Cymbal Basher

            It was on Sunday July 31st 1914 that the Unit entrained at Snow Hill Station for the annual fourteen days camp at Great Marlow, Bucks.

            On leaving the train at Great Marlow we formed up outside the station to march to the camp a mile or two the other side of the town. On marching off, the band struck up the Double Eagle march, which, to any one that knows it is a very inspiring march tune.

            On entering the town we found the main street thronged with hundreds of people who had been waiting our arrival. Together with the inspiring march and the crowds of people, I felt more like 6’ 6” tall than 5’2 1/2”, so much so that I put more energy than usual in to the cymbals, with appalling results

            The leather strap of the left hand cymbal became undone and the cymbal went careering down the road and in to the crowd some150 yards away

            I ran after it and retrieved it, feeling about 3 ft high and very hot and bothered. It was very fortunate for the people in the crowd that due to the noise of the band, they were unable to hear the ‘sweet’ words that the bandmaster shouted in my ear as I again took up my position in the ranks.

            Alas, our stay at camp was short lived. The next day Monday August 1st. we were back again in Birmingham, awaiting our call up on the declaration of war which came on Thursday August 4th, 1914









2 comments:

  1. How lovely to have your dad's memories, and I can see where you got your way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, especially the bits about his varying height! It's great that you have his stories in his words.

    ReplyDelete